Trainers & stable facilities
Flemington, the best-known and oldest racecourse in Australia, is also the Melbourne home of some of the country’s greatest trainers.
Some 550 horses are prepared at the world-famous course to win major races throughout Australia.
As at February 2013, our Flemington based trainers, together with their contact details, are:
Tom Hughes Jr. - Tommy Hughes Racing
Phone: 0413 872 345
Phone: (03) 9375 2755
Phone: (03) 9376 6367
Phone: (03) 9309 336
Phone: 0417 536 205
Stephen Brown - Stephen Brown Racing
Phone: 0488 187 446
Today, Flemington boasts some of the finest training facilities in Australia including a pro-ride surface, two sand tracks and two grass surfaces. Complete with a swimming facility, it has all the amenities a trainer requires to bring out the best in their runners.
Flemington has always been one of Melbourne's leading racehorse training centres, with special training tracks and facilities. For the first hundred years or more, trainers established their stables in the surrounding neighbourhood and walked their horses to the course each day.
In the 1960s, the VRC built its first on-course stables, first leased to Tony Lopes as Chicquita Lodge. Between 1997 and 2003, the VRC constructed an entire village of training stables on the south-eastern section of the racecourse, and these can now accommodate 800 horses.
Here are some facts:
- 1960s - Chicquita Lodge built, leased to Tony Lopes
- 1967 - Extension of Smithfield Road area stables (originally built in the 19th century as ‘stripping sheds’ for trainers bringing horses to the track for traing) a.k.a Community Stables
- 1988 - John Meagher takes over and refurbishes Chocquita Lodge
- 1991 - Plans to build more stables
- By 1998 - Training facilities for 650 on course
- "Between 1997 and 2003 the VRC constructed an entire village of training stables on the south-eastern section of Flemington racecourse, which became the Melbourne base for John Hawkes, David Hall, John Sadler and the Lindsay Park stables." Vol.3 pp. 244-45 HATR
- 2006 - Demolition of Smithfield Road stables